Kids Clothes Week Part 1 - A super-easy refashion!

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 16:19

It's Kids Clothes Week, which means loopy women (and men?) across the globe are sewing like crazy.

Except me.

The aim is to sew for an hour a day, all week. Oh, if only I had that hour!

It was my son's birthday last weekend, which took up most of the previous week planning and creating, and it's left me behind with the other stuff - like work. (Starwars theme - We made a Deathstar lampshade and a Yoda birthday cake, among other things) 
And now sewing is barely happening.

I  have a very complicated sewing project underway, which requires thought, planning and concentration. Hopefully I'll blog about it in 2014, but sadly not in Kids Clothes Week...

Then last night - I finally managed a frenzied sewing burst - and amazingly produced something that I think will be the most wearable and valuable addition to Missy's wardrobe that I've yet made.  Warm and comfortable!


I set about refashioning a woollen jumper of mine. It looks awful on, too boxy on me, but the wool is good quality and I couldn't bear to just get rid of it.

So,  I hacked it up with scissors instead.

I shrunk it first on a hot wash in the machine. Then cut bodice pieces out of the front. I cut raglan sleeves from the existing sleeve, and used the surplus 'fabric' from the top of the sleeve to create triangular inserts in the side seams to give it a 'flippy' shape. I put two more smaller triangles in the front, again to add shape, and attempted to do something clever with the stripes. I love the swing silhouette this now has!



Two rather nice buttons, hide my sloppyish sewing.
I 'hemmed' it with red strips cut from another re-purposed woolly jumper. The zig-zag stitching has made the hem all wavey - not deliberate, but I like it.  Like a flower, said Missy.

And Voila...
Not much more than an hour start to finish, and Missy has a new cosy stylish sweater that looks a zillion times better than this ever looked on me.

And much as I love sewing beautiful dresses, this is actually the kind of thing she will WEAR....Warm, practical...and I do love the flippy triangles.!


I'm inspired! This revelation that I can sew with old sweaters has opened a whole new door for me!
Now I'm eyeing up my winter woollies in a whole new light - and am on the verge of reaching for the scissors. Snip.... snip! Woollies beware!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Victoria, what a fantastic fun outfit for Missy! Love the triangle inserts with the buttons on them! Congrats on chopping into woollies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Victoria!
    I can't wait to see what sewing project you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta - believe me, it's a sewing headache, one that requires more thought than doing - which is why I was so delighted to hack into a sweater!

      Delete
  3. This is adorable! The triangles are totally inspired - really make it (extra) special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy - this was a real "make it up as I go along" project, but it worked out well!

      Delete
  4. Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website.
    Kids High Tops

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria