'Summer' encapsulated in a dress, by Nani Iro

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 15:26

Oh summer why do you torment me so?
I love long days, blue skies, sandcastles, rockpools and more. And I love summer sewing - the chance to sew glorious prints and easy dresses - like this dreamy Nani Iro print.


Nani iro double gauze dress en garden

But I never have enough time in summer - there is just too much to cram in to these short months and long days. And barely a minute to get behind the sewing machine. In my head it drives me crazy. Because, you know, it's August, and autumn is looming (at least in England, where the summer is all to brief) If I don't  make those summer sewing projects a reality, it will have to wait til next year.

Nani iro double gauze dress en garden

So I have a confession - I really did not treat this fabric with the respect that it deserves. 
It is quite simply heavenly. The birds in this stunning print have a lilac metallic finish, that ocassionally glints in the beautiful understated touch that Naomi Ito adds to her Nani Iro designs.
I bought two metres of this from Miss Matatabi back in the spring, and intended to sew it up for Nani Iro month in June (Yes, I know - see what I mean about summer, it slips through my fingers...)



Nani iro double gauze dress en garden

These photographs don't do justice to this dress, or the fabric, or me for that matter. They were taken after I have walked a mile across cliffs to reach our secret beach in North Devon. 
So my dress is creased. 
And  I couldn't resist a quick swim in the sea and leaping in the Atlantic waves. So my hair is damp and salty.
And then I had to persuade Mr As-it-Seams to photograph me, and he'll do that for two minutes max before we start arguing. 
So these pictures will have to do. Because heaven knows when it will be sunny again and I'll have 'another summer moment' in my Nani Iro beach dress. 


OK - so here's the sewing details.
The pattern is self-drafted. I made a muslin and experimented.
I wanted a dress with no zip, to simply pull on.
I managed to achieve this and have a slim-fitting dress, with simple bust darts.
The neckline is faced, front and back, and understitched and interfaced, just to give this soft double gauze a hint of structure.

And the sleeves! Well I was in such a rush, that I cut them so that the selvege forms the hem. No hemming (although this does mean the birds are flying 'up' my arm rather than around - but I can live with that)

Nani iro double gauze dress en garden
Nani iro double gauze dress en garden



The hem  is faced, and has splits in the side seam. I love this detail, and I was going to take more photos to show, you... but for all the reasons above, I didn't..

And that's it - it was an easy-peasey dress that I sewed in a frenzy in one evening flat. And it used just over a metre of my fabric, so I'm hoping I can make a blouse too. Watch this space....

Nani iro double gauze dress en garden

We've been going to this secret beach for nearly 20 years and it's one of my favourite places on the planet. The surf, the rock pools, the cliffs, the green and the blue and the silver.
And we're lucky enough to have dear friends who live near here. For little girls running in the sea, this is paradise. And that roar of the ocean, calms my soul and eases my panic about summer slipping by.





Follow on Bloglovin






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Beautiful dress Victoria, I can relate to having a husband who wouldn't last 3 minutes taking photos of me, he collapse with boredom and leave me running around like a looney hitting the self timer button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olu.
      And yes - it always ends up with grumpy faces and some kind of strop when I say 'make me look pretty and keep the dress in focus'. He just has a total mental block about it.
      Am very envious of bloggers with photographer husbands!

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful dress, even if you sewed it up fast. I also feel that summer is slipping through my fingers. What is it, that in August brings us this sudden realization. Have to get it all done fast, fall will come soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great dress ! Lovely details. If ever you make a pattern i want it !! I çà totally relate to the terrible hubby photoshoot: somehow my kids take better photos Than he does!! And yes Summer does slip through out hands and i wish i could hold it longer !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I have already given up on summer sewing... Already have a list ready for next summer:)... I am lacking a photographer husband as well. He sees me taking pictures for hours to get perfect pictures of our girls in a new dress or outfit. This could be an indication of how difficult it is or how perfectionist I am... but no... he then takes 2 minutes to photograph me....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria